The artistic self development adventure of Amit Dutta aka Monkeybread who, having chucked all caution to the wind, quit his job and only source of income for 3 months, embarks on a daring adventure full of travails, teachings and tantrums while striving towards the ultimate prize: becoming an Awesome Artist.

The Quest: To become an Awesome..er artist
The Deadline: 89 Days-ish
The Risk: Returns to job penniless and soul-destroyed with suckiness intact. Should be a laugh

Saturday 9 February 2013

Day 88: Texture spheres

Texture Spheres

It is of course obvious that the moment I decide to take time off and concentrate on doing nothing but painting and drawing, a whole bunch of life-admin related stuff comes chugging along one after the other. I also got more invites and options to do social things in the last two weeks than I had in the entire year of working.  I'm not complaining....well maybe a little bit.

Anyway so with that lame excuse over with for lack of demonstrable productivity, here are some material studies. 



I loved doing these little material balls. They were fairly quick to do and really helped me get a feel for the material without needing to do a whole illustration or photo study. I did look at a bunch of reference photos before I started them, but I painted them from memory to really activate the learning centre of my brain. I assume there is one in there somewhere.

I highly recommend this process to any learning artists reading this. Expect to see more of these. Oh and that is bunny fur apparently.

I'm also working on a brief was taken from the environment of the week (EoW) challenge over at Conceptart.org.  The brief is a probe or vessel entering the planetary system orbiting the Gliese red dwarf star system You'll probably guess what that first material study in the line from before is supposed to be in aid of now. 
I took some liberties with proximity of the planet to the sun, but if we can ignore the ridiculousness of time travel in movies we can ignore this.  This is the work in progress as it stands. Speaking of faster than light travel I really need to engage my super-hermit drive and get harder nosed or I'm only going to get halfway to awesome.





2 comments:

  1. Way to go, man! Keep on going! And feel free to accept some of those inivations, social = life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! Yeah that's the problem, I know balance is good, which is why I've been getting out there, but I always feel a little guilty about it :)

      Delete