The artistic self development adventure of Amit Dutta aka Monkeybread who, having chucked all caution to the wind, quit his job and only source of income for 3 months, embarks on a daring adventure full of travails, teachings and tantrums while striving towards the ultimate prize: becoming an Awesome Artist.

The Quest: To become an Awesome..er artist
The Deadline: 89 Days-ish
The Risk: Returns to job penniless and soul-destroyed with suckiness intact. Should be a laugh

Thursday 14 February 2013

Day 86-ish

Once again I have been stymied by life and things one has to deal with that seem to serve no purpose but to be annoying. Ok, I sound whiney. so enough of that, and just a quick post today.

This is the only thing I had time to work on today. You may remember a work in progress I posted a couple of posts back for a weekly environment challenge. This is the final version.

The ship underwent countless design iterations, and I ended up settling for something quite symmetrical and familiar despite my best attempts. Quite disappointed with it. The sun turned out pretty well i think...that study really helped!




Today wasn't a total loss because I finally managed to join up at the library as I am now able to be out during business hours!  So I got my fingers on James Gurney's Imaginative Realism book and pretty much blasted through it in an hour or so. The verdict: It's pretty good.  There is quite a bit of insight into his process which are applicable to any illustrator.  The most interesting thing for me was the in depth research and reference process he seems to go through for each painting and his liberal use of quickly built maquettes and lights to play with and determine lighting .  I'm considering actually giving this a go for the more polished pieces I end up doing for the folio. Yayy for play with clay.



1 comment: