The artistic self development adventure of Amit Dutta aka Monkeybread who, having chucked all caution to the wind, quit his job and only source of income for 3 months, embarks on a daring adventure full of travails, teachings and tantrums while striving towards the ultimate prize: becoming an Awesome Artist.

The Quest: To become an Awesome..er artist
The Deadline: 89 Days-ish
The Risk: Returns to job penniless and soul-destroyed with suckiness intact. Should be a laugh

Thursday 2 May 2013

89 Years to Awesome

Well after a long break away I've decided to resurrect this blog. My 89 days did not go as planned and maintaining a blog was one of the first things that I had to dump along the way. Apologies to anyone following for being so rubbish. I intend on resuming posting at least once a week to keep it manageable.

Despite my lack of posting the last 3 months have been a useful insight into how I work best (and worst) as well as in helping me figure out a better direction in terms of how I focus my time.  Basically I overdid the intense study. From now, the focus will be more on personal projects, really interesting game or freelance project work as well as constantly and consistently building folio ready pieces as I go. The study will happen, just as and when I need to apply something specifically. 

I am now back to my 4 day a week job as a cubicle commando so the time to do this in has suddenly become very limited. Hopefully at some distant hazy point in the future, preferably before I am 89, these steps will help me finally make the transition to doing the art thing full time.  Perhaps I can re-purpose the blog title to be somewhat along these lines. 89 Years to Awesome sounds about right. 

So let's get started. Here is a work in progress for April for the Gnomon monthly contest "Death Knight". The month is already over, and I have been ridiculously busy, but hopefully I can finish this within the next few days and still be amongst the judged.




I also started an online course at CGMA in Environment Design, taught by James Paick. It is fun so far.
Here are some value thumbs from the first week's assignment: 















4 comments:

  1. Those Value studies are beautiful. I can't wait to see how they develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! We aren't actually taking these on from week to week. I might take a couple and do them up, but that will be on my own time. Which would you like to see done up? :)

      Delete
  2. Love those thumbnails. Wish I can register for that CGMA course someday as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! They seem to be quite good so far, and pretty cheap compared to others.

      Delete