The artistic self development adventure of Amit Dutta aka Monkeybread who, having chucked all caution to the wind, quit his job and only source of income for 3 months, embarks on a daring adventure full of travails, teachings and tantrums while striving towards the ultimate prize: becoming an Awesome Artist.

The Quest: To become an Awesome..er artist
The Deadline: 89 Days-ish
The Risk: Returns to job penniless and soul-destroyed with suckiness intact. Should be a laugh

Friday 15 March 2013

Day whatever

A long break

I've had to take two weeks off from painting due to a medical issue that came up unexpectedly, that I alluded to in my last post. I now basically have a 4x3x2.5cm hole in my back. It's a real hole. I could keep my spare change in it, or hide the one ring from Sauron in it. Luckily for you I won't be posting an image of it here. We should be thankful for small blessings. So I don't really know what day it is, and I'm a little scared of counting because it might depress me..so onto some work instead.

So about three or four days ago I managed to paint something again for the first time in ages with only minor discomfort. It was hard to get back on the horse...very hard, so I lept onto a donkey instead and this will be my ride for a while.


I decided to get stuck into a competition. A good chance to do a more finished illustration than I would normally do and get the opportunity to not win again; those are always fun.

So the theme was for the new video game reboot of Tomb Raider. This is Lara Croft's beginning story of how she survived against terrible odds to become the heroine etc blah that we all know.  So here are my development steps.


initial development sketches. I gathered more feedback that I would normally from other people on which choices to make. It was interesting, but not sure it made my life any easier.


The composition I ended up using, was a bit of a mashup of the various options.

A work in progress. Just starting to colour up and render...obvious issues remain
The final entry submitted tonight. I actually hate the end result. This is surprising because I normally find good in most things I do. I also realised that rendering detail is drudgery. The fun bits for me are clearly in the initial to mid stages of the image making. That's not surprising at all.










3 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are painting again - all the best for your recovery. Hope you're able to make up for lost time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it going? Hopefully you are too busy painting to blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm certainly painting a fair bit....wouldn't say I'm too busy to post, but I have let it slide. There are just so many places I have to post I got post fatigue. The important thing is that I do the work anyway but I might pop up a few things I've been working on to get back to the habit. :)

      Delete